First feature, Italy-France-Slovenia 2021, 89’, Italian with English and Hebrew subtitles
By Laura Samani
Screenplay: Marco Borromei, Elisa Dondi, Laura Samani
Cast: Celeste Cerscutti, Ondina Quadri
World sales: alphaviolet
Friuli around 1900: Agata gives birth to a dead baby. When the priest refuses to bury the unbaptized child in the village cemetery, Agata goes against tradition. Hiding the little body in a box, she embarks on a journey – to a place in the mountains where stillborn children are said to be brought back to life for the length of a breath.
was born in Trieste in 1989. After graduating in philosophy and literature from the University of Pisa, she studied at the Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia (Rome). Her graduation short film The Sleeping Saint premiered at the Cannes Cinéfondation in 2016. Since then he has received international recognition and awards at several international festivals.
2016: The Sleeping Saint
festivals & awards (selection):
– Annecy Cinema Italien 2021 – Prix du Public
– Busan International Film Festival 2021
– Cairo International Film Festival 2021 – Special Jury Award For Best Director
– Festival de Cannes 2021
– Festival de Cine Europeo de Sevilla 2021 – Best Film
– Cinemed – Festival Cinema Mediterranéen Montpellier 2021: Panorama – Prix étudiant